That time of the year when summer is still in full heat, and things begin to start up again – like school. I’m also in crunch time for finishing an essay on librarianship and vocation about how I’m integrating thought, prayer, and action into life in the church – so if things here seem a little sparse, that’s why. Pray for me! 😀 Let me know if you need prayer, too.
I always thought I liked Ezekiel more than I seem to be liking it this time around. One aspect of reading the Bible more slowly is that it’s harder to gloss over the parts that I don’t like. But I am grateful that this week we’re reading Ezekiel 37, the dry bones, one of my favorite passages. I love biblical passages that speak renewal to situations that seem hopeless.
We’re continuing on in our 40-day journey with Howard Thurman. One of the reflection questions from Day 10 piqued my interest:
What’s more important, the journey or the destination? Or are they equally important? Explain.
Now we’re reading Chapter 2 of The Lifelong Activist. The question that got me in this book is:
Could you have somehow increased the amount you achieved without increasing your level of sacrifice beyond what you were willing to accept?
What are your answers to the above questions?
Check the Think! Pray! Act! calendar for ideas and things to do.
Check out the Find Your FBCO Map to find your local faith-based community organizing affiliate and connect with the people who are working together to live out their dreams of a more just world! What’s going on in your living of the Gospel? Let us know in the comments, in our e-mail discussion group, or on social media.
- “Family Separations: A Word to the Church.” Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), n.d. https://disciples.org/resources/justice/immigration/family-separations/.
- “Reclaiming Jesus.” 17 January 2017. http://reclaimingjesus.org/home.
- Almada, Samuel E. “Ezekiel 1-39.” Pages 273–84 in Global Bible Commentary. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2004.
- Broockman, David, and Joshua Kalla. “Durably Reducing Transphobia: A Field Experiment on Door-to-Door Canvassing.” Science 352.6282 (2016): 220–24. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6282/220.
- Luther Seminary. “Enter the Bible,” n.d. http://www.enterthebible.org/.
- Padgett, Alan. “Old Testament: Ezekiel.” Enter the Bible, n.d. http://www.enterthebible.org/oldtestament.aspx?rid=46.
- Schaper, Donna, ed. 40-Day Journey with Howard Thurman. 40-Day Journey. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Books, 2009. https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23575518M/40-day_journey_with_Howard_Thurman.