As we read from Ephesians 6 – Philippians – Colossians 2, we see different aspects of Paul, particularly in Philippians, a more congenial letter than many of his others. Saunders reflects, “Paul is attempting to help the Philippian Christians live faithfully in the context of the Roman Empire. What might it mean to live faithfully in the mist of a world power? What unique challenges does our own cultural context present us with as we seek to live faithfully? One of the characteristics of life in the twentieth century in North America is the celebration of individualism and economic self-interest [I might say “selfishness” to distinguish this from how I conceive of self-interest]. In what ways do these factors affect our understanding and practice of the Christian faith?” (p. 13)
T+P+A Big Read 2019
This week we read Part 3, “Managing Your Fears,” Chapter 20, “A Process for Defeating Fear,” of the T+P+A Big Read 2019, The Lifelong Activist. In short, Rettig encourages us to move through “fear-based procrastination” by “being aware of your fear as it occurs, and substituting a more functional response to it for your current dysfunctional one.”
Do you procrastinate out of fear? What steps will you take to manage your response to fear?
For September, we’ll do collage / art journaling as our prayer practice. Mary DeTurris Poust provides some helpful reflection as we begin this practice. “I may take Sr. Ethel’s suggestion to do this sort of collage prayer on a semi-regular basis, whenever I’m working through something or marking a special or significant event in my life. It’s a great way to see where your head is at — which is often not all where you think it’s at.”
Is your head where you think it’s at? What is your collage journal telling you?
C’mon over to People of the Books, our online book club in which we discuss these books and whatever else is on your mind or heart!
Check out the Find Your FBCO Map to find your local faith-based community organizing affiliate and connect with the people who are working together to live out their dreams of a more just world! What’s going on in your living of the Gospel? Let us know in the comments, in our e-mail discussion group, or on social media.
- DeTurris Poust, Mary. “Collage as Prayer: Cutting and Pasting My Way to God.” Not Strictly Spiritual, 12 January 2015. https://notstrictlyspiritual.com/2015/01/collage-prayer/.
- Luther Seminary. “Enter the Bible,” n.d. http://www.enterthebible.org/.
- Rettig, Hillary. “A Process for Defeating Fear” in The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World Without Losing Your Way. New York, NY: Lantern Books, 2006. http://lifelongactivist.com/part-iii-managing-your-fears/20-a-process-for-defeating-fear/
- Sanders, E. P. Paul: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Saunders, Stanley P. Philippians and Galatians. Interpretation Bible Studies. Knoxville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001.