We continue on in Maccabees, finishing Maccabees 1 and nearly finishing Maccabees 2.
In what ways have you felt the need to resist assimilation into a dominant culture?
This week we read Part 2, “Managing Your Time,” Chapter 8, “Time Management Step #1: Create a Time Budget” of The Lifelong Activist, in which we continue the “nuts and bolts of Time Management.” As Rettig puts it, “Budgeting forces you to face the fact that you only have a limited number of hours each week, and it also forces you to make conscious choices about how you will spend that time. You’ll have to prioritize your goals and determine how much time you want to budget, or allocate, to each.”
Have you ever budgeted your time? What does that look like for you? C’mon over to People of the Books, our online book club in which we discuss this book and whatever else is on your mind or heart!
As we continue in this fifth week following Epiphany with our star words, Pastor Charissa Clark Howe encourages us to look up our star word in both a dictionary and thesaurus, noting anything that stands out to us, or anything that surprises, annoys, or delights us about our word’s definition or synonyms.
Clark Howe encourages us to learn more about our star word: What have you noticed about the definition of your star word and the words around it?
Check out the Find Your FBCO Map to find your local faith-based community organizing affiliate and connect with the people who are working together to live out their dreams of a more just world! What’s going on in your living of the Gospel? Let us know in the comments, in our e-mail discussion group, or on social media.
- “‘Apocrypha’ in the HarperCollins Bible Dictionary, Abridged Edition.” Bible Odyssey, 2009. http://www.bibleodyssey.org/HarperCollinsBibleDictionary/a/apocrypha.
- Breed, Brennan. “Bible Basics: How Was the Bible Written and Transmitted?” Bible Odyssey, n.d. http://www.bibleodyssey.org/tools/bible-basics/how-was-the-bible-written-and-transmitted.
- Burnette-Bletsch, Rhonda. “Bible Basics: Why Does the Bible Look the Way It Does?” Bible Odyssey, n.d. http://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/tools/bible-basics/why-does-the-bible-look-the-way-it-does.
- Clark Howe, Charissa. “Epiphany Stars.” CharissaClarkHowe.com, 2019. https://www.charissaclarkhowe.com/home/epiphany-stars.
- Clark Howe, Charissa. “My Star Word 2019.” CharissaClarkHowe.com, 2019. https://www.charissaclarkhowe.com/uploads/8/2/6/7/82672280/how_to_study_your_star_word_study_outline.pdf
- Clark Howe, Charissa. “My Star Word 2019: Star Word Study Guide: Journal Pages to Add to Your Own Journal.” CharissaClarkHowe.com, 2019. https://www.charissaclarkhowe.com/uploads/8/2/6/7/82672280/how_to_study_your_star_word_journal_pages.pdf
- Clark Howe, Charissa. “My Star Word 2019: Workbook.” CharissaClarkHowe.com, 2019. https://www.charissaclarkhowe.com/uploads/8/2/6/7/82672280/how_to_study_your_star_word_workbook.pdf
- Coblentz Bautch, Kelley. “1 Maccabees.” Women’s Bible Commentary. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012.
- deSilva, David. The Apocrypha. Core Biblical Studies. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2012.
- Foster, Susan. “Star Gifts: Words to Ponder All Year Long.” Reformed Worship, September 2009. https://www.reformedworship.org/article/september-2009/star-gifts.
- Luther Seminary. “Enter the Bible,” n.d. http://www.enterthebible.org/.
- Pastor Donna. “Star Words – Epiphany 2017.” First United Methodist Church of Stillwater, MN, 11 January 2017. http://fumcstillwater.com/star-words-epiphany-2017/.
- Rettig, Hillary. The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World Without Losing Your Way. New York, NY: Lantern Books, 2006.
- Rettig, Hillary. “Success Is Not a Hobby: The One Lifestyle That Will Support Your Success” in The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World Without Losing Your Way. New York, NY: Lantern Books, 2006. http://lifelongactivist.com/part-ii-managing-your-time/6-success-is-not-a-hobby-the-one-lifestyle-that-will-support-your-success/
- RevGalBlogPals. “Star Words for Epiphany PDF,” n.d. https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/star-words-for-epiphany.pdf.